The AESHM Transitions Learning Community consists of transfer students enrolled in the undergraduate majors of event management and hospitality management. Through common classes, social opportunities, field trips, community service work, and more students are able to meet others in their major and feel connected to their major early on at Iowa State.
Majors Eligible to Join
All transfer students in event management and hospitality management
This is a non-residential learning community. (This means, students can live anywhere and participate.)
Students in the Transitions Learning Community have the option of taking common classes together. These courses typically include:
- AESHM 111X. Professional Development (REQUIRED)
- AESHM 111L. Orientation, Careers, and Learning Community (Required)
- AMD 131: Fashion Products and Markets (for AMD majors)
- AMD 165: Dress, Appearance, and Diversity in Society (for AMD majors)
- AMD 178: Introduction to Apparel Design Studio (for AMD majors in the following options: Creative & Tech Design, Product Development and Innovation, and Product Management and Sourcing)
- EVENT 271: Introduction to Event Management (for Event Management majors.)
- HSP M 101: Introduction to Hospitality Industry (for Hospitality Management majors.)
How to Sign up
Talk to your academic adviser at orientation.
Each year the learning community has 2-3 peer mentors who are juniors or seniors in event management and/or hospitality management. Peer mentors come to AESHM 111L regularly and participate in and even lead class discussion. They act as another resource on campus for students—giving advice, suggestions, and support. In addition to this, peer mentors also plan social opportunities, educational events, and study sessions for the learning community participants.
Need More Information?
30A MacKay Hall
MacKay Hall 2302 Osborn
Ames, IA 50011-1078