AESHM Graduate Student Learning Outcomes
Faculty members in the program expect all students to demonstrate mastery of required coursework bymaintaining a grade point average of 3.0 or better. All students will demonstrate the ability to work inteams, design a research or creative project, and communicate in writing and orally. In addition, allstudents are expected to be aware of societal, professional, and ethical issues related to the discipline.
Upon successful completion of the graduate program, AESHM graduates will be competent in the following four areas:
- Assimilate, integrate, and evaluate research/creative activity in the discipline of interest and related disciplines.
- Implement appropriate methods for research/creative activity.
- Apply relevant theory in scholarship.
- Demonstrate a multi-disciplinary perspective appropriate to the field.
- Develop a program of research/creative activity that contributes uniquely to the field of study.
- Develop a program of scholarship, industry experience, and teaching as appropriate to the requirements of the individual’s professional situation.
- PhD only
- Formulate a professional philosophy in teaching, scholarship, and/or service.
- Explain, analyze, and/or describe how moral and ethical issues apply to individual situations in the relevant field of study.
- Demonstrate an understanding of ethical scholarship and professional practices.
- Interpret and communicate scholarship to diverse audiences (e.g., scholarly, families, consumers, agencies, businesses, nonprofit organizations) in written, oral, visual, and electronic (WOVE) formats.
Faculty members strongly encourage doctoral students to present at discipline-related meetings such as the Annual Graduate Education and Graduate Student Research Conference in Hospitality and Tourism, or the International Textiles and Apparel Association Annual Meeting at least once before graduation.Doctoral students also are encouraged to publish at least one paper prior to graduation.