Faculty and Staff Directory » SoJung LeeView Directory | Update Profile
Title: Associate Professor
Department: Apparel, Events, and Hospitality Management
Office: 8a Mackay 2302 Osborn Dr., Ames, IA 50011
Phone number: +1 515 294 8990
- Tourist behaviors (e.g., motivation, place attachment, involvement, commitment, satisfaction, and loyalty) and tourism management (e.g., destination image)
- Popular culture tourism
- Rural tourism: agritourism, rural community development, sustainable tourism
- Club research in members' attitudes and behaviors
Peer-reviewed Journals Papers
- 2019 Lee, S., Bai, B., & Busser, J. Pop star fan tourists: An application of self-expansion theory. Tourism Management. 72, 270-280.
- 2019 Jeong, E., Yang, Q., Lee, S., & Bosselman, R. H. Factors for non-Jewish consumers’ kosher food choice: An investigation of the food quality perception. Journal of Foodservice Business Research, DOI: 10.1080/15378020.2019.1658514
- 2019 Lee, S., Busser, J. A., & Park, E. The influence of self-expansion on pop-star fans’ leisure constraints, commitment, involvement and future intention. Leisure, 43(1), 79-101.
- 2018 Lee, S., Song, H., Lee, C., & Petrick, J. F. An integrated model of pop culture fans' trave decision-making process. Journal of Travel Research, 57(5) 687–701.
- 2018 Park, E., Lee, S., & Lee, C. An integrated model of travelers’ pro-environmental decision-making process: The role of the New Environmental Paradigm. Asia Pacific Journal of Travel Research, 23 (10), 935-948.
- 2018 Marlowe, B., & Lee, S. Conceptualizing Terroir Wine Tourism. Tourism Review International. 22(2), 99-115.
- 2017 Park, E., Lee, S., & Peters, D. Iowa wetlands visitors’ decision-making process: An extended model of goal-directed behavior. Journal of Outdoor Recreation and Tourism, 17, 64-76.
- 2017 Butler, J., & Lee, S. An exploration into the marketing of country club management: member's motivation. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Cases, 5(3), 9-22.
- 2016 Butler, J., & Lee, S. Motivation, place attachment and loyalty in a country Club. Penn State Research Report. Retrieved from https://www.chrie.org/i4a/doclibrary/getfile.cfm?doc_id=27
- 2016 Lee, S., & Bai, B. Influence of popular culture on special interest tourists’ destination image. Tourism Management, 52, 161-169.
- 2015 Lee, S., Busser, J. A., & Yang, J. Exploring the relationships among image formation agents, destination image, and place attachment from the perspective of pop-star's fans. Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 32(6), 730-746.
- 2015 Lee, S., & Chatfield, G. H. Importance – Performance analysis using a multivariate repeated measure approach: A case study of UNLV hotel college students. Journal of Teaching in Travel & Tourism, 15(2), 1-25.
- 2015 Lee, S., & Yoo, M. Examining celebrity fandom levels and its impact on destination loyalty. Journal of Quality Assurance in Hospitality & Tourism, 16(4), 369-388.
- 2013 Chatfield, H., Lee, S., Karl, M. Effects of financial exigency on job satisfaction of American hospitality faculty - A research note. Journal of Teaching in Travel & Tourism, 13(4), 391-397.
- 2012 Chatfield, H., Lee, S., & Chatfield, R.E. The analysis of factors affecting choice of college: A case study of UNLV hotel college students. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Education, 24(1), 26-33.
Books/Chapters in Books Published
- 2015 Yoo, M., Lee, S., & Bai, B. (2015). Hospitality marketing research from 2000 to 2009: Topics, methods, and trends. In Emerald Gems (Ed.), New Perspectives in Hospitality Management (pp.73-90). UK: Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- HSPM 260 Global Tourism Management - On-campus, Online
- HSPM 560 Tourism Management and Tourist Behavior (Master) - Hybrid
- HSPM 660 Research Seminar in Tourism Management (PhD) - Hybrid
- HSPM 230 Intro to Hospitality Performance Analysis - On-campus, Online
SoJung Lee, Ph.D., an Assistant Professor joined the Department of Apparel, Events, and Hospitality Management at Iowa State University in 2012. She earned her Ph.D. degree in the William F. Harrah College of Hotel Administration at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas in 2012. She has been teaching a variety of undergraduate and graduate level courses in both on-campus and online formats.
Her current research agenda is focused on consumer behavior, including attachment, involvement, commitment, motivation, satisfaction, and loyalty within hospitality and tourism entities (i.e., popular culture tourism, sustainable tourism, wine tourism, and club industry). Recent work has investigated tourists’ psychological characteristics, behaviors and leisure constraints. Sustainable tourism work has focused on Iowa’s wetlands’ benefits to residents and tourists, and visitors’ environmental concern and pro-environmental behaviors. She has recently expanded her research to the club industry, investigating club members’ social identity, motivation, expectation, satisfaction, attachment, and loyalty.
Awards and Grants
- Online Course Development Awards, College of Human Sciences, Iowa State University, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019
- The Council on International Programs Grant Award, "Research Abroad in Asia: Hong Kong and Macau," Iowa State University, 2018
- The North Central Regional Center for Rural Development (NCRCRD) Grants Award, "The Impact of Volunteers on Sustainable Rural Community Development", USDA, 2018.
- The Best Paper Award, “Social Trust and Destination Image: Destination Source Credibility as a Mediator.” The 2018 Central Federation Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education (CHRIE) Conference, 2018
- The Heddleson Junior Faculty Grant, “Identifying cultural sustainability for sustainable rural communities,” College of Human Sciences, Iowa State University, 2017, 2018
- The Faculty Research Grant Award, “Club members’ value, psychological ownership, and loyalty,” The Club Foundation, 2018
- The Untenured Faculty Seed Grant, "Local food promotion: Can rural bed and breakfast operations be a new market? College of Human Sciences, Iowa State University, 2017
- The External Fund Accelerator Grant, "Local food promotion: A case study of Whiterock, Coon Rapid in Iowa," College of Human Sciences, Iowa State University, 2017
- The Best Paper Award: Destination attitude through the lens of simillarity as social distance. The KAHTEA conference, 2016
- The Faculty Research Grant Award, “Identifying joining motivation factors of members in the country clubs,” The Club Foundation, 2016
- The Third Place, A case study of “Understanding country club membership motivation.” The ICHRIE Johnson & Wales Case Study Competition, 2015
- The Third Place, Motivation, Place Attachment, and Loyalty in a Country Club, The ICHRIE Penn State Research Reports, 2015
- The Early Achievement in Teaching Award, College of Human Sciences, Iowa State University, 2015.
- Ph.D. University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Hospitality Administration, May 2012
- MS University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Hospitality Management, Aug 2005
- BS Yonsei University, Food and Nutrition; Business Administration, Feb 1999